The Work of Christ
The Doctrine of Christ - Lesson # 8
I. Christ's work
A. The "person of Christ" refers to who he is, that is, divine, Son of God, etc.
B. The "work of Christ" refers to what he has done and is the subject of this lesson. The work of Christ is a vast area of study. Only a few highlights can possibly be noted within this lesson.
II. Christ's past work
A. Co-ruler of heaven with the Father and the Spirit
B. Co-creator of the heavens and the earth - Jn. 1:3; Heb. 1:1-2; Col. 1:16
C. Agent of providence and inspiration - 1 Pet. 1:11; 1 Cor. 10:4
D. Redeemer, savior
1. This topic will be studied in more detail in the next lesson on the cross of Christ.
2. Old Testament background for Christ as our savior - Rom. 15:4; Gal. 3:23-24
a. Discuss the meaning and place of sacrifices in the Old Testament as preparatory for the sacrifice of Jesus at Calvary.
b. How is Christ's sacrifice "better" than those of the Old Testament era?
c. What is the significance of the term "once for all" in relation to Christ's death? Heb. 7:27; 9:12, 26; 1 Pet. 3:18-20
d. Jesus quoted from Psalm 22 and may have been meditating on the whole Psalm while on the cross. List some parallels from the cry of distress of a righteous sufferer in Psalm 22 and the death of Christ.
e. Philip told the Ethiopian eunuch that Isaiah 52 and 53 should be understood in relation to Christ (Acts 8:32-35). What are some parallels between the Suffering Servant of Isaiah and Jesus?
3. How is Christ our Savior? - Lk. 2:11; Jn. 4:42; 1 Jn. 4:14; 2 Tim. 1:10
4. What does "redeemer" mean and how is Christ our redeemer? What does "reconcile" mean and how is he our reconciliation? - Col. 1:20
5. Christ's work as savior is tied to a series of events in time, his birth, life, death and resurrection, but it is eternal in that its saving influence is effective backward for Old Testament saints and forward for us today. - Rom. 3:25-26; Heb. 9:15
E. In what other ways can you describe Christ's past work?
F. List at least one song which alludes to Christ's past work.
III. Christ's present work
A. As sustainer of the created world - Col. 1:17
B. Agent of God's providence in history - Col. 1:16, 18. In what ways should this be a comforting thought to us? - Mt. 28:20
C. As our mediator - 1 Tim. 2:5
D. As our intercessor or advocate - Rom. 8:34; 1 Jn. 2:1-2
E. As Lord who is the object of our faith and worship - Acts 2:36
F. In what other ways can you describe Christ's present work?
G. List at least one song which alludes to Christ's present work.
III. Christ's future work
A. As the executor of judgment - Acts 17:31; 2 Cor. 5:10
B. As the returning Lord who brings about the consummation of all things - 2 Thess. 1:7-10
C. As one to be worshipped and served in heaven for all eternity - Rev. 5
D. In what other ways can you describe Christ's future work?
E. List at least one song which alludes to Christ's future work.
A. In what ways is there a consistency to the work of Christ, past, present, and future? How is this consistency due to his "person," that is, his character?
B. Memory verse - Heb. 13:8