The Work of the Church
I. Considered generally
A. Since the church is the body of Christ, generally speaking the work of the church would be to do the kinds of things which Christ did. There are limitations in this regard, since we are not the divine Son of God himself, but rather his representatives.
B. Doing good or doing what is right and beneficial in its effect - 2 Cor. 9:8; Eph. 2:10; Col. 1:10; 2 Thess. 2:17; 1 Tim. 5:10; 2 Tim. 2:21; 3:17; Tit. 3:1
II. Some specifics
1. The Great Commission - Mt. 28:18-19; Mk. 16:15-16; Lk. 24:47
2. Study evangelism in the book of Acts
a. Geographically - Acts 1:8
c. Who were the participants? Were they only apostles?
d. As to opportunities - Acts 5:42
3. What is the meaning of the following descriptive terms for the role some individuals in the early church played: evangelists, preachers, teachers?
4. What advantages and disadvantages did the early church have to aid or hinder them in evangelism? By comparison to us today, what opportunities do we have which they did not? What difficulties?
5. List at least one event in the life of Jesus by which he is our example in evangelism.
B. Edification and spiritual growth of members
1. Eph. 4:11-16; 1 Cor. 14:1-40
2. Since church members are at different levels of spiritual growth and have different needs which need to be met, what is the best plan of action for a congregation to edify properly such a congregation?
3. List at least one event in the life of Jesus by which he is our example in edification.
C. Works of mercy
1. Mt. 25:31-46; Rom. 12:13; Gal. 6:10; Jas. 1:27; 2:15-17; 1 Jn. 3:16-20
2. Review in class some works of mercy in which the church has engaged in the past few decades. This should include acts by individual Christians, acts by para-church organizations such as orphan homes, and acts by congregations, either individually or united efforts by groups of congregations.
3. List at least one event in the life of Jesus by which he is our example in works of mercy.
A. Ask yourself if you are adequately involved in the work of the church?
B. Name at least one Christian hymn which speaks of the work of the church and attempts to rally us to zealous service.
C. Memory verse - Gal. 6:10